This privacy statement explains how personal information may be collected through this website and how personal information will be managed.
What is “personal information”?
“Personal information” means information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained from, that information or opinion. It includes information such as your name, address, date of birth and phone number.
Who collects personal information through this website?
The AAFC collects personal information through this website. After its initial collection, the AAFC may disclose the information to Defence.
Collection, use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information is collected on this website only when you choose to provide it on the web forms or related paper- based forms for the purposes of:
- Recording of the agreement to and conditions stated in the enrolment documentation
- Recording parental or guardian approval of any conditions stated in the enrolment documentation
- Recording of contact and medical details for emergency and other necessary contact
- Recording of current and future statistical data as part of your participation in the Australian Defence Force Cadets
- Recording of employment/school details
- Recording of qualifications and training results as they relate to your participation in the Australian Defence Force Cadets
- Letters of welcome and recognition of achievement, and
- Other uses as may be agreed to in writing from time to time during your enrolment in the Australian Defence Force Cadets.
Providing you with information about your career in the Australian Defence Force Cadets
The AAFC from time to time may send you information (including by email and SMS messaging) about news and events, training and other activities that AAFC determines may be of interest to you.
For the above purposes and for directly related purposes, AAFC may use statistical data about information collected and disclose it to Defence and other Commonwealth agencies. Person identifying data will not be provided to external parties, in particularly recruitment contractors; marketing and promotional agencies; database service providers; information technology providers; and travel organisations unless you authorise such provision.
The Commonwealth may use personal information collected on this website in an aggregated, anonymous manner for the purpose of research, but only after the information has been de-identified.
Information that does not identify you
Some of the information that is collected during your participation in the AAFC and at this website is not personal information, because it does not reveal your identity.
For example, when you visit this site, our server makes a record of your visit. This information collected by the server about individuals visiting the site will not in itself identify the individual. It is collected automatically and logged due to the nature of the communication protocols.
The following information is logged for statistical purposes:
- The user’s server address
- The user’s top-level domain name (.com, .gov, .au, .net)
- The date and time of the visit to the site
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded , and
- The previous site visited and the type of browser used.
When you choose to log on to the website, the following additional personal identifying information is logged:
- Your ID, which identifies who you are
- The date and time you logged in, and/or
- Your acceptance from time to time of this and any other relevant website policies.
The cookie allows AAFC to recognise you as an individual as you move from one page of this website to another. This cookie will expire on the closure of your browser session or on the closing down of your computer.